Properly Posh Pets is a proud curator of some of the best and most fun pet party products on the internet. Links below include affiliate links to help us continue sharing the best with you.
Cats and pirates are kindred spirits – and the perfect inspiration for a unique-themed party with rum and catnip. Collect all the scallywags you can find on your list of friends and invite them over to celebrate while you drink grog cocktails, eat catnip treats, and spend the evening doing your best Jack Sparrow imitations from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Did you know that September 19th is National Meow Like a Pirate Day?
Talk Like a Pirate Day has been celebrated for many years, so why not have a special day to highlight the historical role cats have played on the high seas!
Historically, sailors have viewed cats as good luck charms who would keep away bad spirits – and rats. Cats are mysterious and independent – kind of like pirates. And both love the element of surprise when attacking their enemy.
We love throwing parties with unique themes, so we are planning rum cocktails and catnip treats to get all the pirates we know and their feisty felines in the mood. Since Halloween is right around the corner, you will be all set in matching pirate costumes with your cat.
What do Pirates Do? Talk with pirate lingo, slur their words, talk with their hands, use lots of growling and eye rolling – and stock the treasure chest, of course with lots of catnip and catnip treats.
And drink lots and lots of rum.
Let’s Drink Rum!
The grog cocktail began as a drink for British sailors and was designed to enhance and preserve the water they stored on their ships while providing vitamins to fight diseases like scurvy. Grog typically can be served hot or cold. Let’s drink grog before the fog!
Serve our Pirate’s Punch recipe as another option. Argh, that’s a winner, Matey!
Grog Rum Cocktail
- 1 ½ ounces dark rum
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1 ounce honey syrup
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces water
- 2 ounces fresh orange juice
- Orange slice for garnish
- Shake all the ingredients with ice.
- Pour into a double old-fashioned glass.
- 8 ounces chilled cranberry juice
- 8 ounces chilled orange juice
- 4 ounces dark rum
- 4 ounces white rum
- 2 ounces amaretto
- Fruit for garnish
- In a large pitcher, combine the juices, rum, and amaretto.
- Top with ice or serve with glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with fruit such as pineapple wedges and orange slices.
Catnip Meow Bites — Gourmet Cat Treat
My cat clearly considers catnip the best kind of treasure it is possible to find – whether it is buried or served on a silver platter. Here is a fun way to treat your feline scallywags.
- 1 can tuna
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried milk
- 3 tablespoons of catnip
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Mix the tuna, flour and milk.
- Pour in the water and oil, and mix well.
- Beat the eggs in a separate dish, then add to the mixture, and mix well. The dough should be sticky.
- Shape the dough into small bite size balls.
- Place the balls on greased cookie sheets and flatten them.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350°.
- Remove the treats from the oven, wait five minutes, and then turn the treats over and bake an additional 10 minutes until they are brown.
- Store in the refrigerator.
A Swag Bag Full of Treasure
We’ve collected several pirate-themed ideas for gifts for your mates and their felines – because you must send your guests home with a swag bag full of treasure! Click on the title or picture to purchase.
Cat Costume – Pirate
Cat Scratcher – Pirate Ship
Breakaway Cat Collar – Pirate Cat
Pirates of the Caribbean Movie – Boxed Set
Cat Pirate T-Shirt
Pirate Cat – Stemless Wine or Coffee Tumbler
Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum!
The best parties are about having an excuse to be silly and frivolous, because we all need a reason to let loose from the monotony and challenges of everyday life.
My cat has taught me something very important – a feather wand and a catnip toy can turn an ordinary moment into something extraordinary. Time to stop and play and be silly.