Fall is the best time of the year to take a walk with your dog. Crunchy leaves, the scent of firewood, and the taste of a crisp apple – or a warm apple cider cocktail.
My dog thinks every walk is a reason to party, so why not turn that daily routine into a reason for an easy, casual party with your friends and their pups. An opportunity for everyone to get outdoors on a sunny, crisp autumn day to enjoy a trip to an apple orchard or a cider distillery – or maybe just your backyard with pup treats and delicious autumn cocktails.
Informal is the theme for this party. Meeting and greeting – old friends and new. Let’s pile the puppies in the wagon and find some apples to pick.
Apple Cider Cocktails
National Apple Day is October 21st, and there is no more perfect fall fruit than an apple – for eating off the tree, baking in a pie, or enjoying your local distillery’s hard cider. Apple cider cocktails, anyone? Chilled and shaken or a warm drink by the fireplace – these two cocktails will get you in an autumnal mood.
The Rum Apple Cider Cocktail
- 4 cups apple cider
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup dark rum
- Mix the cider and brown sugar in a saucepan.
- Wrap the cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves, and lemon zest in cheesecloth and add to the cider mix.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the spice bundle and mix in the rum.
- Serve warm in mugs.
- Makes 5 servings.
The Bourbon Hard Apple Cider Cocktail
- 2 ounces of hard apple cider
- 1 ½ ounces of bourbon
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Dash of bitters
- Gourmet cherries
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the hard cider, bourbon, syrup, and bitters.
- Shake vigorously and strain over an ice cube in a double rocks glass.
- Garnish with gourmet cherries.
Apple Cinnamon Pup Treats with Peanut Butter Frosting
A Gourmet Dog Treat
Cinnamon is non-toxic for dogs but do not feed it to them directly – only include it in a recipe like this one. The smell of these treats baking will delight you and your pup!
- 2 large apples
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups white flour (or wheat)
- 2 cups of oats
- Peanut butter (for frosting)
- Peel apples and cut into small pieces. You must remove all seeds.
- Put apple pieces and water into a bowl and mash using a potato masher.
- Fold in the oats and cinnamon. Add in the flour until a dough is formed.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¼” thickness and cut out shapes using a dog bone-shaped cutter.
- Place cut shapes 2” apart on a greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack. Frost with a thin layer of peanut butter.
- Store in refrigerator.
Take a Walk with Your Dog
Sniffing the air, meeting and greeting both dogs and people, and crunchy fall leaves to roll in. It doesn’t get much better than that for my dog who always turns our walks into a Party for Two with his wagging tail and happy grin.
Invite your friends and their dogs to join you for the apples, the cocktails, and the pup treats while you enjoy the benefits of relaxation and camaraderie.
Make memories with your dog – one walk at a time.