My dog thinks I’m fun, which is why I hang out with him so much – because there is no doubt he is fun. One of our favorite fun activities is eating and drinking, which is why our Party Blogs always include recipes for Pup Treats and Cocktails.
Every snack you make,
Every meal you bake,
Every bite you take,
I’ll be watching you.
A recent Party Blog post had ideas about how to celebrate Dog Dads with bacon cheeseburgers and mojitos garnished with bacon. We decided to keep the bacon theme going in this Party Blog post with recipes for Bacon-Flavored Pup Treats and Candied Bacon, our favorite bacon appetizer for Pup Parents.
Bacon & Cheese are Irresistible Foods
Bacon is a fun addition to just about anything. It is crispy, while it also melts in your mouth, and it adds amazing flavor.
And who doesn’t like cheese? I have never met a dog who didn’t love cheese, and cheese is rich in calcium, protein, vitamins, and health fats, so you can share it with your pup in moderation.
Dog Bacon Safety Tips
We want to make sure that your dog stays healthy and happy while he is sharing fun snacks with you, so please mind these tips.
- Because bacon is high in saturated fat and sodium, it is best to limit your dog’s bacon consumption, but it is fine as an occasional treat. It could cause gastrointestinal upsets because of the high fat and sodium content.
- Make sure that the bacon you buy has not been flavored with ingredients like garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper which could cause stomach upsets or could be toxic to your pup.
- The high sodium content could increase your dog’s thirst so you should keep the amount you give him to a minimum and monitor his drinking to make sure he doesn’t overdo it.
Bacon Cheese Pupburgers – Gourmet Dog Treats
Bacon cheeseburgers are my favorite, and Bacon Cheese Pupburgers are my dog’s favorite!
Here are two variations of this delicious pup treat.
Bacon Cheese Pupburger Dog Biscuits (from The Midnight Baker)
- 2 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup corn meal
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup water
- Cool bacon until crisp. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings to use in the dough. Finely dice bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350° Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, drippings, shredded cheese, beaten egg, ¼ cup water, and the corn meal. Stir well to combine.
- Add the flour and only as much of the remaining water as needed to produce a rollable dough.
- Roll dough to a little less than ¼ inch. Cut out in desired shapes using a bone cookie cutter.
- Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the biscuits sit in the oven until the oven is completely cool (which dehydrates the biscuits so they store better).
- Recipe makes 2-3 dozen biscuits.
Find this recipe at: Bacon Cheese Dog Biscuits – The Midnight Baker (bakeatmidnite.com)
Cheddar Bacon Burger Dog Treats (from Good Housekeeping)
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Add oats, cheese, and bacon to the bowl of a food processor and process until ingredients reach a crumb-like consistency.
- Add two eggs to food processor and process until mixture resembles a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle flour or finely ground oats onto a wood cutting board and roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out dough into desired shapes.
- Transfer dog treats to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Cool treats completely and store in an airtight glass or plastic container.
Find this recipe at: Homemade Cheddar-Bacon Dog Treats Recipe (goodhousekeeping.com)
An Adorable Bacon Dog Toy
Last year for his birthday, my pup got an adorable bacon squeaker dog toy, which is one of his favorites. Every morning after he eats his breakfast, he puts “two strips” of bacon in his mouth and carries them around the house. Clearly, the dog knows how to make a point about his favorite foods.
Here it is in case you want to treat your pup to this fun toy. Click on the picture to purchase.
Candied Bacon for Pup Parents (not pups!)
Here is a recipe for a bacon snack that is easy and amazingly delicious. I challenge you to resist eating all of it when you and your pup are preparing it for your party.
Candied Bacon – A Bacon Treat for Pup Parents (not pups!)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds thick-cut bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, rice vinegar, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the bacon slices on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn the slices, and bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and brush both sides with the brown sugar mixture.
- Return the bacon to the oven and bake another 5 minutes.
- Repeat basting every 5 minutes until the bacon is browned and crisp – about 35 minutes.
Everything Tastes Better with Friendship & Bacon
Food always tastes better when you are sharing it with friends. Especially friends who LOVE to eat — like your dog!
Good Times and Good Food – making Bacon-Flavored memories with your dog to last a lifetime.