Eat, drink, shop, play, and snuggle!
My cats and I compiled a list of our favorite activities, because we are planning ahead to celebrate National Goof Off Day on March 22nd.
Number 1: Bake Kitten Treats & Cupcakes
Say the word TREAT in my house and 2 sets of cat paws come running. They are absolutely happy with the pet store treats in their Treat Jar, but I promised them we’d spend some quality bonding time today baking homemade treats. The expression on their faces was a bit skeptical, but I am sure they will LOVE the “Catnip Party Treats” detailed below.
I need a TREAT too, so I plan to make a batch of my favorite cupcakes. No point in letting the cats eat by themselves, when we are binging with Hallmark movies and cocktails.
Number 2: Shop for Cat Toys
I love to shop, and my cats know I love to shop. They regularly check out my Instagram feed for the latest in cat accessories, but their fave is wand toys – the more feathers the better. Isn’t it more fun to shop for someone else than yourself?
Every morning, they start with a few minutes of catnip, then munch on a few catnip treats. The cat acrobatics that come next with their favorite wand toy would qualify them to join the circus. So yes, a goof off day must include some serious toy shopping.
Number 3: Spend the afternoon playing with Cat Wands & watching Hallmark Movies
Plan ahead and record some of the Hallmark movies with cats as the center of the plot. Movies full of kittens, romance, and friendship are the best kind, although we wouldn’t mind if the heroine owned a bakery so we could drool over the beautifully decorated cupcakes. If you were a really good cat parent, then you thought ahead and made sure you bought a new wand toy for this very special day.
Number 4: Binge on Catnip & Cocktails
My cats LOVE catnip toys – and I LOVE cocktails, so we plan to stock up on plenty of both for our day of fun and relaxation. Your pet store is sure to have a great selection of catnip toys, but my cats adore the Dr. Pussums catnip toys, which always bring on wild and crazy cat antics.
My cocktail of choice for this goof off day is an easy drink – The Classic Cape Cod Cocktail.
- 2 ounces of vodka
- 3 ounces of cranberry juice
- Lime wedge, for garnish
- Pour the vodka and cranberry juice into a highball glass with ice.
- Stir well and garnish with the lime wedge.
Number 5: Have a Party!
Of course, we cannot let the day go by without a party. In fact, the whole day is a party!
Let’s keep it small and easy – just my cats and me. We’ll have to think about whether we let the dog join us or ship him out to a friend’s house for a sleepover. Yeah, good idea. He’ll never know what he missed.
Catnip Party Treats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- ½ can tuna in oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup finely crushed dry catnip
- Preheat oven to 350°. Use non-stick cookie sheet or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, flour, and dry milk powder until thoroughly combined.
- Add the water and oil. Mix well.
- Beat the egg until foamy and then add to the mixture. The dough should be sticky.
- Shape the dough into ¼ teaspoon sized balls and roll them in finely crushed dry catnip.
- Place the balls on the cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn the treats over and bake them for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool treats completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe can be found at Food.com.
Eating & Playing & Snuggling with Laughter & Love
Never doubt the fun you can have while spending precious time goofing off with your cat.